Monday, February 16, 2009

Sub Vector? Hype or for Real

Wanted to share this article from Nate Burgoyne from his SUPSURF Mag site http://www.supsurfmag.com/ on posting an article on the the new SUB,
''The Sub Vector by C4'' , hype or for real.

I know of four to five SUP owners who have the SV and really like the board. I think the board performs great in our east coast waves. It has characteristics of stability, maneuverability small length and lightweight to combine a great board for the larger rider like myself. The SubVee's unique shape allows the rider to experience a new loose skate feel with control and responsiveness.

Nate's Article

According to Dave Parmenter this is “probably the most advanced high performance short SUP on the market.” He says, “It’s a very fast board. You want to be real careful there. Put away all the crockery and glassware because sonic booms do tend to break those things.” And according to Dave, “This is the board to connect your short board surfing into the stand up surfing.” Well, the other day I ran into Liam Wilmott up on the North Shore, and lo and behold he had a Sub-Vector in the truck. Fast forward about 20 minutes and I was giving it a couple test runs in surf that was about head high to see if the Sub-Vector hype is real or just a bunch of hot air.

When I first stepped on the board, I said to Liam, “I feel like I’m standing on a skateboard.” Having spent most of my high school days sidewalk surfing, it was a good feeling. Although it wasn’t as stable as I thought it would be, the average stand up paddle should have no problem balancing the board. It paddled easily and wave entry was smooth and controlled. On the wave, for me, the board responded quick and snappy. I’d shift my back foot, put it on rail, and, “Zoomp,” the board turned. After I making my first turn, I remember thinking, “That was easy. Where do I want to go next? I have so much wave left.” I never had the chance to really get the board racing down the line full speed, nor were there any bombs coming through that day, but on average waves, it was great. One final note: Probably the characteristic that stuck out to me most about the board was how controlled the board was coming off the whitewater. When a wave closes out, you have two choices 1) hit the whitewater for one final hit or 2) straighten out. Well, with the Sub-Vector you can hit the foam with confidence and know the board is going to stay under your feet. While I didn’t have extensive time on the board, my initial impression is. . . “believe the hype.”
Click here for more on the C4 Waterman 9'3" Sub-Vector. Thanks Nate for the article



No comments: