Sunday, January 29, 2012

Paddling Jarvis Creek to Honey Horn Plantation..

Jesse, Heather and I paddled from Pickney Island up into Jarvis Creek all the way to Honey Horn Plantation. A just shy of a 9 mile paddle. We explored the marsh and creek shooting pics and having a relaxing paddle sharing life's stories like school yard kids at recess..
I came across a true local Martin Luther ( ML ) paddling his narrow canoe Stand Up style collecting oysters. I chatted with him for a while and I was very humbled when he has been oystering this way since the early 70's. His Pappy and GrandPappy taught him how to travel on the water in this manner oystering and fishing. I figure Hilton Head Stand Up Paddling has been around at least since the 30's according to ML, and probably way earlier. A primitave form of transportation to live and sustain life.. I'm Truely Humbled watching ML paddle the narrow rolled bottom vessel with a load of oysters as if it was nothing. . Imagine him on a modern SUP.. tooooooo easy ... Here is my hero for today. ML gettin his paddle on...




A little slide show of our paddle today...

No comments: